The top safety guidelines for terrific teeth all start the same way. Given our daily food diets, no matter how old you are, oral health hygiene is important. Brushing and flossing daily is a key staple in ensuring you do not fall victim to tooth decay or gum disease.
There are also a few risks we take in our lives that must be minimized, or done with adequate safety equipment. Our jaws and teeth are fragile, and as such are prone to injuries if damaged. If you think a task or job you are doing could be harmful to your mouth, protect yourself. Listed below are some excellent guidelines to ensure your teeth remain well cared for:
– Avoid hard food products that can chip or crack teeth, such as corn on the cob, candy apples, hard candy, or ice.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco increases risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
– Do not open anything with your teeth. Even bottle caps can crack or chip teeth.
– Lip and tongue piercings can chip or crack teeth, introduce harmful bacteria to your mouth, or even increase your risk for infection to your gums.
– If you grind your teeth in your sleep or while you are stressed, you can wear your teeth down over time.
– It is wise to avoid products packed with sugar. These includes sodas, sports drinks, fruit juices, or candies. The bacteria in your mouth converts the sugar into harmful acids which can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Chewing on pencils, nails, pen caps, or similar non-edible products can damage teeth and gums.
– Snacking constantly can put your teeth at a greater risk for tooth decay or gum disease. Try to avoid snacks in between meals.
– Playing contact sports or high-risk activities without proper mouth guards can increase your risk for oral accidents.
To learn more about what you can do to protect your teeth and gums, please contact our team of dentists at Bella Vista Dental by calling our office at 830-386-3988. We are conveniently located in Seguin, Texas, and want to help make your smile the best it can be. To schedule an appointment or oral exam with Dr. Lara Perry, please call us today.